Certificates & Inspections:

All electrical installations, including new jobs and additional work on old installations, made in this state, shall have an electrical wiring certificate or e-cert (electronic version of a wiring certificate) properly executed and submitted by the master or class B electrician supervising the installation of electrical wiring. The board shall prescribe an e-cert form for a master or class B electrician licensed on or after the effective date of these rules.

Before work commences on any electrical installation where:

  1. a new entrance is installed
  2. an existing entrance is altered or repaired
  3. a building is moved
  4. where a mobile home feeder is installed or
  5. where the cost of the repair work or additional installation exceeds five hundred dollars.

The master or class B electrician supervising such installation shall submit an electrical wiring certificate and distribute as follows: 

a.      A start-up copy of the certificate shall be submitted to the board and a copy to the power company before work is commenced and before an electrical installation may be energized. 


b.      Within fifteen days of completion, use, or occupancy, whichever is first, the final paperwork shall be submitted to the office of the board, along with the proper fee. The wiring certificate shall be completed with the location and a proper description of work completed. 


c.        A copy shall be retained by the master or class B electrician.


d.       A copy shall be left in or on the panel or given to the owner.


Certificates with job cost of twenty thousand dollars or less are valid twelve months from the original filing date. A new wiring certificate shall be filed on all unfinished work.


E-certs are available upon request and submission of an application from any master or class B electrician holding a proper current license from the board.  Electrical (paper) wiring certificates are available until August 31, 2020 or the effective date of the 2020 Laws, Rules & Wiring Standards.  The master or class B electrician shall be held responsible for all certificates issued to and by that person.  A charge of twenty-five dollars to cover board costs shall be assessed on each lost electrical paper wiring certificate issued to any master or class B electrician, unless returned to the board.


Self-Wiring Inspections:

Property owners who are self-wiring or doing their own electrical work must contact your local electrical inspector (click here for map & contact info) and comply with the following before any electrical work commences:

a.  Notify the board office of intent to self-wire.

b.  Must own and occupy the residential property or farmstead where the electrical work will be done.

c.  Review plans or drawings depicting wiring to be done with the local electrical inspector.

d.  Inspection fees will be calculated as stated in this section with a minimum of fifty dollars.

e.  Certification and inspection are required as stated in this section.